Micro batteries are available in various shapes, sizes, voltages, and currents to satisfy multiple requirements, depending on the device they are used for. For example, coin cells, also known as button cells, are a type of battery commonly used in small gadgets such as car key fobs, calculators, etc. However, Some of these batteries share similar qualities, like the CR2025 and CR2032 batteries. Therefore you’ll need to know how to differentiate them and select the most appropriate one for a specific device.
The significant distinction between the CR2025 and CR2032 batteries is that the CR2032 has a thickness of 3.2mm and can supply 240mAh, while the CR2025 only has a thickness of 2.5mm and can only provide 170mAh.
This article aims to help people understand the similarities and differences between a CR2025 and a CR2032 battery. And when to use them and for what purpose.
What is a CR2025 battery?
This battery is a non-rechargeable lithium coin with a diameter of 20mm and a thickness of 2.5mm. Based on manufacturer specifications, the CR2025 battery has a high voltage of 3V and a capacity of up to 170mAh. The CR2025 battery is a widespread lithium coin cell battery used in the same products and for the same purposes as the CR2032. However, when used in similar applications, the CR2025’s lesser capacity (mAh) will result in short service life than a CR2032. They are used in several gadgets like a motherboard, wristwatches, calculators, games, door chimes, LED lights, and medical devices. The batteries are also called 280-205, 5003LC, BR2025, DL2025, ECR2025, and SB-T14, AWI L12, Citizen 280-205, Duracell DL2025, Electrochem 3B980, Energizer ECR2025, Eveready CR2025, Fuji CR2025, etc.
How long does a CR2025 battery last?
Many factors may affect battery storage lifelike temperature, humidity, and storage conditions. A battery can last for many years without damage when stored and maintained correctly. The CR2025 battery in small applications like the key fob can last up to 3-4 years before it needs to be replaced. However, a high-energy gadget like an IoT tracking device may last only a year. It is due to the small storage capacity of the CR25025 battery.
What is a CR2032 battery?
This battery is a 20mm diameter x 3.2mm thickness non-rechargeable button cell battery. Based on the producer, the CR2032 battery has a voltage of 3 volts and a capacity of up to 240mAh. The CR2032 is the most widely used lithium coin cell battery. The CR2032 battery is used in different commercial applications, including key fobs, motherboards, security system panels, and weapons sighting systems. The CR2032 battery works for many applications because of its small size, large capacity, long service life, and consistent discharge. This battery can also be called 5004LC, AWI L14, BR2032, BR2332, CR2032, DL2032, EA2032C, ECR2032, L2032, LF1/2V, LM2032, RFA-35, and Seiko SB-T15.
How long does a CR2032 battery last?
Even though the battery lasts longer than the CR2025, it may also have a short life span depending on the application. However, the CR2032 will last for almost four years if appropriately used in a low-energy device. On the other hand, it may not last up to 2 years in a high-energy demanding device.
What are the similarities between the 2025 and 2032 batteries?
In terms of shape, size, and appearance, the CR2025 and CR2032 batteries are remarkably similar. Therefore, comparing the two types of coin cell batteries on a comparison chart appears to be almost identical. However, there are a few minor differences in the batteries that are highlighted below:
- The batteries have a Lithium Manganese Dioxide chemical composition and are round in shape.
- The first two numerals indicate the battery’s diameter in millimeters in the battery code. Each of these batteries has a diameter of 20 mm.
- They are both utilized in various small devices, including automotive remote key fobs, laser pens, children’s toys, and much more.
- They have a voltage of 3 volts. So they could theoretically all be used interchangeably, but we’ll get to that later.
- They are typically found in wristwatches and have long expiration dates
- They can last up to 5 times longer than alkaline batteries
- They are not rechargeable and do not contain mercury or cadmium, as many earlier rechargeable nickel-metal hydride batteries did
- They can be found pretty much anywhere
What are the differences between the 2025 and 2032 batteries?
The batteries seem similar in many areas but differ in key ones. Here are the ways the battery differs:
- The most noticeable difference is the thickness of the battery. The battery’s thickness is described in tens of millimeters by the battery code; therefore, the CR2025 is 2.5 mm thick while the CR2032 is 3.2mm thick.
- The weights of CR2032 and CR2025 are different. CR2032 weighs about 3.0 grams, while CR2035 weighs approximately 2.6 grams. However, because the weight difference is so small, you may not notice it when you hold them.
- The CR2032 batteries offer a higher capacity and run time, making them more energy-efficient. It provides a capacity of up to 240mAh, while the CR2025 offers a capacity of up to 170mAh.
Can the CR2025 and the CR2032 batteries be used interchangeably?
Both CR2025 and CR2032 batteries can be used alternately in the battery compartment with minimal performance differences. However, the CR2032 is expected to last significantly longer because it has a bigger capacity (mAh). In addition, due to the difference in sizes, you may need to pay for the 2025 battery going into a 2032 space to ensure optimal contact, as this can otherwise cause the device not to work or be damaged.
factors to consider when using a CR2032 instead of a CR2025
One of the crucial factors to consider when using the batteries interchangeably is the size of the battery. However, this is not the only factor to consider; other factors to consider include:
- Voltage: Electronic gadgets have a set voltage level that they are meant to operate at for best performance. It implies you’ll need to match the battery voltage to the operational voltage of the device you’re using it with. For example, if you’re replacing a CR2025 with a CR2032, the voltage of the CR2032 must be the same. Fortunately, both batteries have the same voltage of 3 volts.
- Current: If you’re using an electronic product that demands a lot of power, the CR2032 battery is a better choice than the CR2025. They often have higher amperage (mAh), which means they can store more energy. In addition, it is better to use CR2032 batteries instead of 2025 cells because they have a higher power density per volume and last longer.
- Current capacity: If your electronic gadget demands a larger current capacity, the CR2032 is the better choice. If you’re using an application that requires more than 3-5 amps, CR2032 batteries are preferable to 2025 batteries since they can deliver more power. Also, the chemical makeup of a battery impacts current capacity. It isn’t only a matter of the battery’s physical dimensions. However, because both batteries have the same chemical makeup in this instance, their size determines the capacity. Because the CR2032 is 0.7mm larger than the CR2025, it can carry more charge and deliver a higher current. The capacity of the CR2032 is 240mAh, while the capacity of the CR2025 is 170mAh.
CR2032 vs. CR2025– Which Battery Is Better?
Based on whether it can fit in your battery compartment, you can choose between CR2032 and CR2025. Similarly, the batteries can be used interchangeably without causing any problems. However, The CR2032 is a long-lasting battery due to its large capacity. Therefore, if you have a CR2025 and want to use it, you can mask the 0.7 mm difference by placing an aluminum foil inside the battery compartment with the battery.
With the evolution of technology and the introduction of compact devices, battery sizes are becoming a significant factor. When selecting extra small batteries for your devices, you’ll want to make sure they fit correctly. However, the numerous battery models can be confusing when choosing a battery for your little gadgets. Fortunately, the CR2032 vs. CR2025 coin cell batteries are the most widely utilized. They are used in Watches, toys, laser pointers, and remote controls. CR2025 and CR2032 have similar chemical compositions, voltages, dimensions, and sizes, and they can be used interchangeably. However, the thickness and capacity are the only differences. So, when choosing a battery, consider what you’ll be using it for and how often you’ll be using it. You must also consider your budget and ensure that whatever battery size is offered fits inside the compartment or available space.