Does Costco Install a Car Battery for Free?
As a car owner, you’re bound to run into unexpected hassles, from a faulty engine to a punctured tire and a dead battery.
Like other issues, a failing car battery deprives you of enjoying your vehicle’s functionality. However, replacing the battery fixes the problem and brings your car back to life.
Consumers are pretty fond of Costco, a popular wholesale club that provides enticing discounts on almost every item thinkable.
As such, a few people question if it sells batteries and offers a free installation.
Sadly, Costco does not provide free installation. It does, however, sell affordable batteries, which is a plus.
Signs You Need a New Car Battery
There’s nothing more frustrating than a dead battery on a pleasant journey. It stresses you and keeps you from enjoying the trip. Likewise, a failing battery escalates annoyance when you’re getting late for work.
However, knowing a few tell-tale signs helps you replace your battery on time and avoid unwanted hassles.
- Dim lights. If your interior and headlights are dimmer than the norm, your car battery is probably depleting.
- The car won’t start. You’re having trouble starting the car. A faulty battery doesn’t have enough power to get the engine working.
- Old battery. If your car battery is 2-3 years old, it’s better to go for a replacement. You do not necessarily need to spot any visible signs. An older battery per se demands a battery replacement for optimal car functioning.
- The engine cranks slowly. A battery losing its ability to hold the charge takes more time to start the engine. So, the draining battery is to blame if your engine is acting up.
- Rusted battery terminals. Observe your car battery. If you spot corroded battery terminals, it signifies your vehicle battery needs replacement.
Does Costco Offer Free Battery Installation?
Because consumers rely on Costco for purchasing bulk items and the company is reliable given that it has been in business for 45 years, a few people wonder if it offers free battery installation.
Costco does not provide free installation services. In fact, it doesn’t offer any battery installation services, to begin with.
However, you can purchase your car battery at an affordable price from the wholesale club.
What’s Good About Purchasing a Battery from Costco?
If Costco doesn’t provide free installation services, what’s good about buying a car battery from Costco? Fortunately, you can still take advantage of what Costco offers – if not free installation services.
- Variety. Costco offers numerous types of car batteries. So, you have many options to choose from, and you won’t run out of choices.
- Affordability. Costco sells Interstate brand batteries, which means it doesn’t compromise on quality. But that isn’t the only pro; the batteries are more affordable than those available at other popular stores.
- Warranty. The wholesaler also gives a warranty for its products. It covers you up for 2 years from the purchase date. So, if your battery stops working within 2 years of purchase, you can bring it to Costco, and they’ll offer a replacement.
So, while free battery installation is a perk, Costco stands out from the crowd by offering reliable and inexpensive products.
The fact that it offers a product warranty protects your investment. You can bring your battery to Costco, and they’ll cater to your needs if you face any issues with the battery.
Is It Challenging to Replace the Battery Yourself?
Replacing a battery is relatively straightforward. In fact, it takes a few minutes to swap the old battery with a new one. Nonetheless, you must ensure purchasing the right battery for your car. Besides, detaching the negative battery cable is also essential before starting.
Lastly, you can follow the battery installation steps to insert the new car battery successfully.
How to Install a New Car Battery?
A few people believe car battery replacement is only for professionals. However, that’s not the case.
You can easily replace your vehicle battery if you stick to the right steps. Here’s a quick installation guide for a successful battery installation.
- Park your car and turn off its engine. If you’ve parked your vehicle on an incline, do not forget to use wheel chocks and emergency brakes for safety.
- To locate your vehicle battery, you’d need to open its hood. It is typically situated on the right side, closer to the headlights or the front left corner. Nonetheless, the location may be different depending on your vehicle. But no matter its place in the hood, you’ll spot it quickly.
- Now, you need to identify the negative and the positive sides. The negative terminal features a black cap and a minus sign. On the other hand, the positive side has a red cap and a plus sign.
- Unfasten the bolt on the negative side using a wrench. It’ll take only a minute.
- Repeat the same process for the positive terminal. Make sure you keep the cords away from the battery to avoid sparks when removing it from the car.
- Cautiously pick up the battery and pull it out of the car. Be careful at this step because the car battery can be unexpectedly heavy. Generally, it weighs around 50 pounds – it could be slightly more or less. If the battery features a handle, we recommend using it for convenience.
- Observe the terminal caps for rust. If you notice visible white and green crystals, it’s time to wipe them off. Otherwise, the corrosion will get to your new battery. Consider using a terminal cleaning solution and a brush for the purpose.
- Insert the new battery in place of the old one. Make sure to keep the black and red terminals at their respective positions.
- Attach the terminals to the battery. Connect the positive side first and proceed with the negative.
- Secure the bolts to keep the battery in place and properly connected.
- That’s it! You’ve successfully added a new battery to your car. Now, close the hood and test your new battery.
Costco might not cover your battery replacement needs, but it does offer budget-friendly and premium-quality batteries. On top of that, it provides a 2-year warranty.
As for the replacement, you can contact a professional or go the DIY route if you’re looking to save some money.
We’ve shared the battery replacement steps that’ll come in handy when adding a new battery.